Law Clerks for Diversity
Effective Date: September 1, 2020
- The types of information we collect through our Sites and Services
- How we use and protect that information
- The types of information we share with others and how we share it
- The choices you have regarding our collection, use, and sharing practices
This Policy does not apply to websites that are not operated by Law Clerks for Diversity, including websites or mobile applications that may link to our Sites or be linked to by our Sites; please review the privacy policies on those websites and applications directly to understand their privacy practices.
Information We Collect
We collect, process, and retain information you provide when using our Sites and Services. We collect the following information from you:
- Your name, contact information, and biographical information (including demographic, educational, professional, disability, and health information, if you choose to share it) when you sign up for our mentorship program in order to match you with a mentor.
- Your name and contact information if you register for one of our events or sign up for our newsletter or updates.
- Your contact information and a record of any correspondence when you contact us.
- Information you provide when you complete a survey administered by us or a vendor acting on our behalf.
Information We Collect Automatically
When you interact with our Sites and Services, certain information about your use is automatically collected. This information is collected through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies, as well as through your web browser or device. We collect:
- Details of your visits to our Sites and information generated in the course of the use of our Sites (including the timing, frequency, and pattern of service use) including traffic data, weblogs, and other communication data, the resources you access, and how you reached our Sites.
- Information about how you interact with our ads and newsletters, including whether you open or click links in any correspondence.
- Information that you make available to us on a social media platform (such as by clicking on a social media icon linked from our Sites or Services) including your account ID or username and other information included in your posts.
- Analytics: Allowing us to understand how our Sites and Services are being used, track website performance and make improvements.
- Site Operations: Enabling features that are necessary for providing you with our Sites, such as identifying you as being signed in, tracking content views, and remembering your preferences.
- Social Media: Enabling the sharing of content from our Sites and Services through social networking and other websites.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies but, if you prefer, you can usually modify your browser setting to disable or reject cookies. If you delete your cookies or if you set your browser to decline cookies, some features of the Sites and Services may not be available, work, or work as designed. You may also be able to opt out of or block tracking by interacting directly with the other companies who conduct tracking through our Sites and Services.
Information collected about you from a particular browser or device may be linked to information collected from another computer or device that we believe relates to you.
Your browser or device may include “Do Not Track” functionality. At this time, we do not alter our Sites’ data collection and use practices in response to Do Not Track signals.
You can learn more about ad serving companies and the options available to limit their collection and use of your information by visiting the websites for the Network Advertising Initiative and the Digital Advertising Alliance. Similarly, you can learn about your options to opt out of mobile app tracking by certain advertising networks through your device settings and by resetting the advertiser ID on your Apple or Android device.
Please note that opting out of advertising networks does not mean that you will not receive advertising while using our Sites and Services or on other websites, nor will it prevent the receipt of internet-based advertising from other companies that do not participate in these programs. It will, however, exclude you from interest-based advertising conducted through participating networks, as provided by their policies and choice mechanisms. If you delete your cookies, you may also delete your opt-out preferences.
How We Use Your Information
We use the information we collect from you for the following purposes:
- To provide you with our programs and services, including to communicate with you and to provide you with information relating to our programs and services, in accordance with your preferences.
- To understand how our programs and services are being used, track the performance of our Sites, and make improvements.
- To detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be fraudulent or illegal and to comply with legal requirements regarding the provision of our programs and services.
How We Share Your Information
- Outside Vendors: We engage the following types of vendors to perform functions on our behalf: security vendors; text messaging and email service providers; contact management software providers; membership, volunteer, and event management software services providers; website hosting services; analytics and survey services providers; and IT vendors.
- Social Media Platforms: Where you choose to interact with us through social media, your interaction with these programs typically allows the social media company to collect some information about you through cookies they place on your device and other tracking mechanisms. In some cases, the social media company may recognize you through its digital cookies even when you do not interact with their application. Please visit the social media companies’ respective privacy policies to better understand their data collection practices and controls they make available to you.
- Law Enforcement, Legal Process, and Emergency Situations:We also use or disclose your information if required to do so by law or on the good faith belief that such action is necessary to (a) conform to applicable law or comply with legal process served on us or our sites; (b) protect and defend our rights or property, the websites or our users; or (c) act to protect the personal safety of us, users of our websites, or the public.
How We Secure Your Information
Our Sites and Services have security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. We use a combination of physical, technical, and administrative safeguards to protect the information we collect through our Sites and Services. While we use these precautions to safeguard your information, it is not possible to guarantee the security or integrity of information disclosed online. Because no data transmission over the Internet is completely secure, we urge you to take every precaution to protect your personal data when you are on the Internet, including when you are using the Sites and Services.
Our Site is intended for users age thirteen and over. We do not knowingly collect information from children through our Sites and Services. If we discover that we have inadvertently collected information from anyone younger than the age of 13, we will delete that information.
Users Outside the United States
If you use our Sites and Services outside the United States, you understand that we collect, process, and store your information in the United States. The laws in the United States regarding personal information may be different from the laws of your jurisdiction.